I randomly woke up at 4.30am and after getting a glass of water, I didn’t go right back to sleep. I got on my cellphone, responded to texts and scrolled idly through my Twitter feed. I came across a link one of my followers had posted. With a title as provacative as “Why Ghana Is Not A Tourist…
Exactly. I usually hardly get offended by ‘media showing poor Africa’ things. But this woman is talking about going to Ghana as a tourist and then decides to spill all this nonsense about ‘people over there have no choice but to urinate in the streets.’
And I usually try to defend tourists, because most of them honestly try to get to know a place. They talk to more taxi drivers than I do, read more newspapers, drink more beer etc etc. But this woman writing for a travel blog, is sitting back looking at everything from her “American” stupid perspective and coming up with ludicrous conclusions. Did she even bother to ask the taxi driver why he stopped to urinate, before she concluded that it was for lack of a better place? People urinating on the streets piss me off as well, but I’m pretty sure very few people do it because they have nowhere else to do so. I’ve seen people get out of mercedes benzes to pee on the streets (not that it makes it any better, but just that she doesn’t know anything).
And the entire title is just plain wrong. ”Why Ghana is not a tourist friendly place to visit?” I’m always always wishing I could be a tourist in Ghana because most of them have tremendous fun, and experience the country in a way that it’s hard to when you live there. And the pictures she took? I mean that is not a tourist experience at all. And here’s proof.
This article about ‘trendy’ places in Accra. Look at the pictures.
Then look at Karen’s pictures.
And I kind-of hosted a tourist last summer with a friend. Can’t even tell you how much of a great time he had. Accra is not a terrible place to visit. This woman is just a terrible tourist.
And the article isn’t even an intelligent one. Really frustrating that such people get to blog about travel for news sites.
ReplyDeleteI randomly woke up at 4.30am and after getting a glass of water, I didn’t go right back to sleep. I got on my cellphone, responded to texts and scrolled idly through my Twitter feed. I came across a link one of my followers had posted. With a title as provacative as “Why Ghana Is Not A Tourist…
Exactly. I usually hardly get offended by ‘media showing poor Africa’ things. But this woman is talking about going to Ghana as a tourist and then decides to spill all this nonsense about ‘people over there have no choice but to urinate in the streets.’
And I usually try to defend tourists, because most of them honestly try to get to know a place. They talk to more taxi drivers than I do, read more newspapers, drink more beer etc etc. But this woman writing for a travel blog, is sitting back looking at everything from her “American” stupid perspective and coming up with ludicrous conclusions. Did she even bother to ask the taxi driver why he stopped to urinate, before she concluded that it was for lack of a better place? People urinating on the streets piss me off as well, but I’m pretty sure very few people do it because they have nowhere else to do so. I’ve seen people get out of mercedes benzes to pee on the streets (not that it makes it any better, but just that she doesn’t know anything).
And the entire title is just plain wrong. ”Why Ghana is not a tourist friendly place to visit?” I’m always always wishing I could be a tourist in Ghana because most of them have tremendous fun, and experience the country in a way that it’s hard to when you live there. And the pictures she took? I mean that is not a tourist experience at all. And here’s proof.
This article about ‘trendy’ places in Accra. Look at the pictures.
Then look at Karen’s pictures.
And I kind-of hosted a tourist last summer with a friend. Can’t even tell you how much of a great time he had. Accra is not a terrible place to visit. This woman is just a terrible tourist.
And the article isn’t even an intelligent one. Really frustrating that such people get to blog about travel for news sites.
Echoes my sentiments!